Saturday, January 14, 2012

Weight Loss Surgery, Diabetes and CDL?

I hope someone has a little insight into this situation. I am Type 2 diabetic, have been for about 17 years. I have spoken to numerous individuals that have had weight loss surgery and have reduced or eliminated their need for diabetes medications. If my diabetes progresses to the point where I need insulin, I will be unemployed with my current employer and I am afraid that time is getting close. I will then have the option of a lengthy process to be allowed to drive with insulin or find employment that pays about a quarter of what I earn now. I also have medical insurance, but with an exclusion for weight loss surgery. Am I wrong in thinking that weight loss surgery would be a reasonable accommodation under the Americans With Disabilities Act in order to keep me working? I am a CDL holder working for a company that carries hazardous materials. Opinions appreciated!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment